Launched in November 2013 and entered the Mars orbit in September 2014, MAVEN spacecraft has been exploring the upper atmosphere of Mars in an unprecedented detail.
MAVEN explores primarily the following three topics:
- The current state of the upper atmosphere and the processes controlling it
- The current atmospheric escape rate
- Total loss of atmosphere through time
- General circulation modeling of the Martian upper atmosphere
- Quantification of gravity wave effects on the upper atmosphere of Mars